The Interlake Reserves Tribal Council Inc. is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Tribal Housing/O&M Advisor. Reporting to the Technical Services/Land Use Planning Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for delivery of advisory and support services to member First Nations on all aspects of First Nations Housing and Capital including CMHC and ISC sponsored programs. The Tribal Housing Advisor will also act as a liaison between IRTC communities and ISC as a member of the Manitoba Indigenous Housing Capacity Enhancement Mobilization Initiative (MBIHCEM).
The ideal candidate will possess technical training and experience in the field of First Nations Housing. S/he will be familiar with key mechanisms and processes involved and be capable to work both independently and as part of the IRTC Technical Services team.
• Representing IRTC as a member of the MBIHCEMI
• Performing a variety of routine and complex administrative, technical and professional work to analyze and administer various components of the housing and O&M programs.
• Assisting with the development and implementation of relevant training programs.
• Assisting member communities with overall planning, proposal development and project management of community based housing projects
• Offer advisory services to member communities on all aspects of First Nation Housing Issues including, ISC Programs, CMHC Programs, Policy Development, Preventative Maintenance, Circuit Rider, etc.
• Liaising with other agencies and organizations regarding regulations, compliance and best practices
• Receiving and reviewing housing plans and specifications and making recommendations to ensure compliance with building code and/or other areas for improvement.
• Inspecting houses under construction and renovations for:
o Quality Control
o National Building Code Standards
o Fire Safety
o Construction methods and techniques
o Material Quality
• Preparing monthly activity reports and special reports as required
• Provide assistance to member communities to complete annual reports
• Provide and perform other duties as may be assigned in carrying out the functions of the Housing Advisory capacity of the Tribal Council.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Post Secondary degree or diploma in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as architectural technology, building science or civil engineering technology, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience
• Excellent leadership, management and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of the National Building Code, Manitoba Building Code, Manitoba Fire Code.
• Experience in inspection, review and approval of construction as related to buildings
• Knowledge of various Housing Programs offered through ISC and CMHC
• Certified or willingness to work toward certification for a Manitoba Building Official’s Association (MBOA) certificate
• Independent Work Skills
• Must possess computer operating skills for word processing and spreadsheet functions.
• Ability to speak Ojibway would be an asset
• Position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search and an Abuse Registry Check
• Must be eligible for CMHC Security Clearance
• Must have valid Class 5 drivers licence and a vehicle, or access to a vehicle
• Must have extensive knowledge in Aboriginal culture & heritage
• Willing to work overtime and travel after regular work hours
Please provide a cover letter, resume, Criminal Record check and Child Abuse Registry Check, and three (3) written reference letters (preferably from present and past employers) to:
Technical Services/Land Use Planning Manager
No later than: 4:30 p.m. October 10, 2018
Fax: (204) 942-8840
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.