Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Public health officials advise the 35th death due to COVID-19 have been reported, a male in his 70s from the rural east district in Southern Health. This was a previously announced case.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 3.5 per cent and 124 new cases of the virus have been identified as of 9:30 a.m. bringing the total number of cases in Manitoba to 2,779. Of the 124 news cases, 26 were identified Monday, 83 were identified Sunday, and 15 were identified Saturday due to a backlog of cases.
Today’s data shows:
• 16 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region
• 1 case in the Northern health region
• three cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region
• nine cases in the Southern Health region
• 95 cases in the Winnipeg health region
The data also shows:
• 1,248 active cases and 1,496 individuals have recovered from COVID- 19
• there are 28 people in hospital and five people in intensive care
• the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 35
Laboratory testing numbers show 2,383 tests were completed Friday, 3311 were completed Saturday, 2049 were completed Sunday and 2188 were completed yesterday bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 213,669.
CASE INVESTIGATION UPDATE
- Winnipeg Adult Education Centre, 310 Vaughan St., Winnipeg on Oct. 5. Based on the public health investigation, the risk of this exposure was assessed to be low. The infection was not believed to be acquired at school. The cohort is being advised to self-monitor for symptoms and seek testing if symptoms
- Daniel McIntyre Collegiate, 720 Alverstone St., Winnipeg on Sept. 29, 30 and Oct 1. Based on the public health investigation, the risk of this exposure was assessed to be The infection was not believed to be acquired at school. The cohort is being advised to self-monitor for symptoms and seek testing if symptoms develop.
- Dakota Collegiate, 661 Dakota St., Winnipeg with two cases on Oct. 6 and Oct 5, 6, and Based on the public health investigation, the risk of these exposures was assessed to be low and are not linked. The infection was not believed to be acquired at school. Close contacts to one of the cases have been contacted to quarantine. The rest of the cohorts are being advised to self-monitor for symptoms and seek testing if symptoms develop.
- Dufferin School, 545 Alexander Ave., Winnipeg on Sept. 30 and Oct. 2, this is the second case from the same cohort as a previous case at the school. This cohort and other close contacts have been advised to self-isolate (quarantine). While the investigation was not able to confirm if transmission took place at the school, the risk to the school community is still considered low.
COVID-19 Provincial Response -Update
Headingley Correctional Centre: CRITICAL
Outbreak declared/The site is moving to Critical (red) on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System. The facility has taken measures to mitigate risk including separating contacts and cases from the rest of the population, coupled with discontinuing visitation and transfers, and enhanced use of PPE.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has introduced exemptions to the Quarantine Act requirements for self-isolation related to international travel for compassionate or care-giving reasons. Provincial travel orders are being updated to reflect this change that Manitoba is supporting. People who are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19 may travel to Northern Manitoba or a remote community to:
- care for a family member or friend who is seriously ill but is not in a health care facility;
- visit a family member or friend who is in a health care facility with a life-threatening illness or injury if the health care facility has authorized the visit; or
- attend the funeral of a family member or friend.
In addition, people from outside Northern Manitoba or a remote community and are required to self-isolate are travelling for these reasons can complete their self-isolation in the north.
IRTC in-office essential services schedule:
All IRTC Staff are available continuously via cellphone and email.